Yorkson Stormwater Detention Pond
Owner: Qualico, Chow & Li
Engineer: McElhanney Consulting Services Ltd.
Environmental Consultant: ECL Envirowest Consultants Ltd.
This permanent detention facility was constructed as part of the Yorkson neighbourhood development.
The pond is located next to a protected watercourse and the project required strict adherence to the erosion and sediment control plan. Gemco’s work was closely monitored by Township of Langley’s environmental monitor, to ensure compliance. The work consisted of:
- Diversion of watercourse and sanitary sewer
- Installation of erosion and sediment control systems including wastewater treatment facility
- 9,000 m3 of excavated material hauled offsite
- 115 lm of 1,200-1,500mm storm culverts and flow-control structure
- Lock block headwall complete with cast-in-place culvert tie-in
For diligence in erosion and sediment control, Gemco received a nomination for the Township of Langley’s 2012 Environmental Hero Award, and was awarded an Honourable Mention.